Vegan Poke Bowl
For the beetroot poke
- 6 medium beetroot (or pre-cooked beetreet, as a time saver)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- ½ teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon minced green onion
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
For the poke bowl
1 cup short grain white rice or brown rice
2 cups shelled edamame (thawed)
3 spring onions
2 medium carrots
Spicy Mayo, for drizzling (use lime juice instead of hot sauce for a non-spicy version)
For the garnish: Toasted sesame seeds, microgreens or sprouts (optional)
- Cook the beetroot if not using ready cooked.
- Peel the beets according to the recipe, then slice them into 1/2-inch cubes.
Make the rice: Make the rice according to instructions. When it’s done, give it a few shakes of rice vinegar and stir in salt to taste. (Or, make the rice in advance and reheat it on the stovetop with a splash of water.)
- Season the beetroot: When they’re cooked, place the beets in a bowl and stir together the soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, grated garlic, ginger, minced green onion, and kosher salt.
- Prepare the veggies: Thinly slice the green onions and radishes. Slice the avocado. Julienne the carrots (or peel strips with a veggie peeler). Sprinkle all the veggies with salt.
- Serve: Place the veggies and rice in a bowl. Top with the beet poke and garnish the poke with sesame seeds. Drizzle with Spicy Mayo and serve.